The disinfectant and antibacterial properties of oregano essential oil were first recognized a long time ago in ancient Greece. Oregano was often used for treating bacterial infections on the skin or in wounds, and it was also employed to protect food from bacteria.
The Essential Oil of Oregano is extracted through steam distillation of fresh oregano leaves, which bear the scientific name Oreganum Vulgare. Its chief components are Carvacrol, Thymol, Cymene, Caryophyllene, Pinene, Bisabolene, Linalool, Borneol, Geranyl Acetate, Linalyl Acetate and Terpinene.
Oregano has many therapeutic properties, including:
- Analgesic - numbs pain (also good with osteoarthritis pain)
- Antiseptic - assists in fighting germs/infection (Studies show effectiveness against MRCA)
- Anti-infectious - especially with infections on the skin, respiratory or digestive system
- Antiviral- shown to be effective against polio, flu and herpes virus
- Bactericidal - destructive to bacteria
- Nervous system sedative
- Stomachic - stimulates the stomach, digestive aid and tonic, improves appetite
- Immune support
EXTERNAL USE ONLY. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes. DILUTE with a carrier if applying to skin and use a maximum of .5% dilution (which is 1-2 drops per TBS of carrier). Regular use is not recommended.
All information on Pompeii Organics website is informative in nature and not to be construed as medical advice. We are not doctors or medical professionals. We are passionate about aromatherapy and all things healthy and natural. We also believe strongly in the safe use of essential oils. To learn more about blending safely, we have a learning section devoted just to this issue: http://www.pompeiiorganics.com/blend-safe/